Tuesday 25 October 2011

The delectable diva



Supermodel, beauty pageant winner, VJ, animal rights crusader and popular anchor — Shamita Singha’s roster is an elaborate mix of stardom, glitz and passion. 


The delectable diva who made her debut in ’99 has since been hogging the limelight for her sexy bravado persona; be it a PETA activist or posing for bikini shoots with sister Mashoom. She opened up about her many pageants, Kingfisher calendar experience and relationships...


The big, bad world of modeling:

See, it can be a shallow, frivolous profession at times no doubt. But there’s always the good along with the bad- you just got to choose which path to take! Personally, though we’re judged for our external attributes, I’ve grown a lot internally and the financial stability I have obtained has changed my life.


Being a Kingfisher Calendar model:

I got to work with the best of photographers and designers during the shoot- it was literally a ‘killer’ experience posing in a swimsuit next to a 40-foot killer whale!


On being a beauty queen and winning the Miss Earth pageant:

It ranks among my best memories ever; participating on a platform of such magnitude was an honor in itself. I went on to be a semi-finalist at the international Miss Earth 2001 pageant competition too. The entire journey was exhilarating- full of promise, vision and heart.


Competition in new-age fashion:

I feel old because I’ve been modeling for more than a decade. But it’s a good thing that more models and designers are entering the industry now to represent India on a truly global stage.


Passion for PETA:

I’m strongly against animal cruelty and I am a trustee of the Animal Welfare Board of India. It motivated me to fund the Nature and Animal Care Organisation as well. I even posed on a bed of red chillies once for PETA’s “Spice Up your Life — Go vegetarian” campaign!”


Life as she knows it:

Walking the ramp for renowned designers, hosting shows on several networks, adverts with the likes of Abhishek Bachchan, editorial work for fashion magazines, advisor on haute lifestyle, interior décor, and fitness among a lot more. It’s a busy, busy life and I’m living every minute of it!


On Sister Mashoom Singha:

I’m so glad she’s followed in my footsteps and is a hot-shot personality in her own right now. Contrary to what many might think; we truly are the best of friends and share a terrific bond.


Relationships and family:
You gain some and you lose some. That’s the way it is in this world! But my family and friends have stuck by my career choice wholeheartedly throughout the ride; I owe a lot to their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment